So I haven’t posted in a while. Largely due to laziness and forgetfulness. I hang out a lot in a game dev slack channel so don’t feel the itch to post on the blog much. Either way, here’s a new post. I was slowing down a lot on MVM. the basics of one mech is done, but I have to work on things like customization as well as getting the monsters set up and ready (which I haven’t even come close to starting.) The way I programmed the mech controller allows for different weapons to be swapped out pretty easy, but I didn’t do the same for the core of the mech (body, legs, shoulder pieces, cockpit). So it’s going to be a lot of work to get that all in place. It was kind of depressing as to how slow I was getting things done. As such I worked on something in a gamejam like style. I wanted to make a maker.
In the first weekend of effort, I was done with this:
Which was a great feeling to get that much done in a weekend. It works pretty nicely, had some issues, but still, overall, works great. Tilesets are generated automatically when the level is loaded, so even if there is a visual mess up like when you delete a grass tile, it’s fixed on next load. I had coin blocks, placing tiles, player and camera movement, it’s truely a great start.
The next weekend I had to work on it, I got a lot more done. I added invisible coin blocks, fixed the unity line issues, and with unity 5.6 beta I was able to use the combined collider system to fix the sticking on the ground. I also added in variable jump heights based on how long you press the key.
I’ve since also added regular coins, an end point, and slimes(goombas) so it’s coming along. I need to add a lot of content still, but the base is extremely solid. I’m going to be working on the menus for basic functionality next. This is so that I can get it out there for others to start making levels, even if it’s in a limited capacity. But that’s where it stands right now. I need to work on this a lot before the next meetup since I’ll be showing it off there. 😀